USB 3.1 Type-C IP with DisplayPort 1.3
- Industry’s most comprehensive USB Type-C IP solution includes USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 PHYs, USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 controllers with HDCP 2.2 content protection, and verification IP
- HDCP 2.2 security protocol, incorporated in DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 controllers, protects audio/video content during transfer over the USB Type-C connector
- DisplayPort 1.3 in USB Type-C Alt Mode supports 8.1 Gbps per lane and up to 8K resolution for Ultra High-Definition TVs and monitors
- Support for the latest USB Type-C Port Controller specification enables flexible hardware and software partitioning to implement differentiating USB Type-C features while maintaining USB Type-C compatibility
- DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP subsystems, IP prototyping kits and IP software development kits, as part of the IP Accelerated initiative, reduce the time and effort of integrating the IP into SoCs
Synopsys, Inc. today introduced the new DesignWare® USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution which integrates USB Type-C™ (USB-C™), SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and DisplayPort 1.3 interfaces with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) 2.2 IP. The solution accelerates development of mobile and digital office system-on-chips (SoCs) that require 10 Gbps data transfer and delivery of secure audio/video content and power through a single USB Type-C connector. Synopsys is the first to provide a USB Type-C IP solution that incorporates the HDCP 2.2 protocol, which is increasingly required for DisplayPort Alt Mode implementations to protect premium content during transmission. Support for the new USB Type-C Port Controller specification provides flexible hardware and software partitioning options so designers can manage system costs and features. The DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP subsystems, IP prototyping kits, IP software development kits and verification IP enable designers to quickly incorporate and verify the latest high-performance USB Type-C interfaces in their SoCs.
The DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution delivers up to 10 Gbps data rates and supports USB Type-C, the newest USB cable and connector developed by USB-IF, to improve the user experience with reversible plug orientation and cable direction, bi-directional power and Alternate Modes. The DisplayPort Alt Mode uses existing SuperSpeed USB lanes over USB Type-C connectors and cables to deliver up to 32.4 Gbps maximum link bandwidth with each of the four lanes running at 8.1 Gbps. This 50 percent increase in bandwidth over DisplayPort 1.2 enables Ultra High-Definition (UHD) TVs and monitors with up to 8K resolution. The DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution simplifies integration and reduces system-level costs by removing requirements for external switch components for the USB and DisplayPort datapaths.
The DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution is the industry’s first to integrate HDCP 2.2 content security, which is the latest evolution of content protection technology. HDCP 2.2 content security is required to play back UHD 4K and higher-resolution content over DisplayPort Alt Mode. It creates a secure connection between a source and display by using industry standard public key and advanced encryption algorithms for successful content transfer. Synopsys’ HDCP 2.2 content protection IP provides designers with a complete and highly secure implementation of the HDCP 2.2 standard, including the entire control plane processing with authentication and key exchange protocols, as well as key stream generation. Incorporating HDCP 2.2 content protection in the DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution helps designers meet the stringent compliance requirements of the DCP LLC licensing authority.
The DesignWare USB-C 3.1/DisplayPort 1.3 IP solution is based on Synopsys’ certified, silicon-proven SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps (USB 3.1 Gen 2) solution that has been successfully integrated into a wide range of customer SoCs. The solution meets the USB-IF standard specifications, including 10 Gbps performance and 5 V and 3.3 V tolerance, and is backward compatible with USB 3.0 and 2.0.